RCHS Program Helps Students Experience Workforce

Kelsen+Howard+and+Abigail+Rodgers+work+at+Food+Lion+in+the+community.+Photo+by+Andy+Coffey.+

Kelsen Howard and Abigail Rodgers work at Food Lion in the community. Photo by Andy Coffey.

Addie Flint, Reporter

Work Experience II, run by Special Education Teacher Andy Coffey, is a class offered at Rockbridge County High School. The class is provided for students in the Special Education Program. Work Experience II gives students the chance to work in public environments to introduce them to having a job. The class takes place during multiple class periods of the school day. 

Students in Work Experience II travel to different working environments in the county to learn about work ethic. On Mondays, the class goes to the Natural Bridge State Park. On Tuesdays, they head over to Virginia Military Institute. Wednesdays, they go to the YMCA and on Thursdays, they go to Food Lion. Starting in two weeks, Coffey’s fifth period class will also be able to visit the Virginia Horse Center on Mondays and Wednesdays. 

Through this course, Coffey guides his students in learning the many responsibilities of having a career. 

“From Work Experience II, I want them to gain what it’s like to be in an employment field,” said Coffey. “I want them to develop skills such as how to greet people, how to behave out in public. I also want them to work hard and get some good work ethic in.” 

His students heavily practice communication skills. They learn how to communicate with employers, co-workers and customers. They also work on problem solving needed for any working position. 

“Just about everybody I have gets a job which is rewarding to me because I get to go out and see them actually working. Now, they can see what they can do and how great they are,” said Coffey. 

Senior Abigail Rodgers is one of Coffey’s students who travels with him throughout the county. 

“I like working at the Natural Bridge State Park with Mr. Coffey and the rest of the group,” said Rodgers. 

Work Experience II helps students understand the importance of having responsibility and work ethic as they grow older. Mr. Coffey demonstrates the characteristics needed to be successful in the world through this class. As time goes on, more and more opportunities are provided for these students. To find out more about this program, go to https://www.rockbridge.k12.va.us/RCHS