The Seniors Head to D.C.

Mackenzie Mynes

Seniors Reagan Woody and McKenzie Alley admire the Lincoln Memorial.

Mackenzie Mynes, Reporter

On Sept. 30, the Government students of Rockbridge County High School had the chance to go on a day-long trip to Washington D.C. 

The day started with boarding buses at 6:00 A.M. at RCHS. On the charter buses that were rented with the $60 fee each student had to turn along with their permission slip, students got much needed rest for three hours to prepare for the long day filled with activities ahead while they traveled to the Nation’s Capital. 

After the three hour and a half hour bus ride, the Government students arrived at D.C. at around 9:00 A.M. The first stop was monuments. The students had the opportunity to explore the different monuments including the Lincoln Memorial, the Korean War Veterans Memorial, and the Washington Monument. After that, the students, accompanied by the teachers, headed to the World War II Memorial, the Martin Luther King Junior Memorial, and then finally the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial. At these memorials, students got to explore on their own and learn about the different aspects of history that have had major effects on our country. 

After walking around monuments for about two hours, the charter buses boarded and everyone traveled to L’Enfant Plaza to have a long lunch. At L’Enfant Plaza, students had the option to choose from the wide variety of restaurants that the plaza offered like Panda Express, Subway, Charleys Philly Steaks, and so much more. 

Once lunch ended it was time to go to the National Mall. Here, students had all freedom to go to whichever museums they pleased. Many students went to places like the Holocaust Mueseum, the Smithsonian American History Museum, and Smithsonian Natural History Mueseum. This gave students the opportunity to be responsible and hang out with their classmates all at the same time. They had four hours to do as they pleased at the mall. 

Senior Maliyah Hickling spoke about her experience after going to the Holocaust Meusem. 

“It was really sad but we went to the Holocaust Meuseum and it was a really good experience and it was just really special,” said Hickling. 

After those four hours were up, the final destination of the trip was Tyson’s Corner Center, the notoriously large shopping center in D.C. This is where the students ate dinner and did some shopping if they had time. For many students this was their favorite part of the trip. 

“My favorite part of the whole trip was going to the mall,” said senior James Greaver “It gave us freedom, it gave us time to hang out with each other, get food, buy whatever we wanted with whatever money we had, and just gave us an overall fun experience,”

Finally the trip came to a close at 6:00 P.M. and the seniors headed back to the school. Everyone arrived back at Rockbridge County High School at 9:00 P.M. where students and teachers headed home after a long day of learning experiences and fun in the Nation’s Capital.