The Hines Sisters Make Their Mark on The Court

Nic Vargas, Reporter

Many people know seniors Rachel and McKenzie Hines from their proficient lacrosse skills and their division one athletic abilities. However, this year the Hines sisters chose to make a new name for themselves on the basketball court. With a little convincing from Head Coach Mr. Andrew Bellairs, and the desire to relieve middle school memories, Rachel and McKenzie Hines joined the varsity basketball team. 

With the Hines sisters on the varsity roster, the team hopes to make up for the loss of their previous season. Prior to their lacrosse success, the Hines used to call the basketball court home. 

“I played basketball in 6th, 7th and Freshman year,” said McKenzie Hines.  Both sisters played the sport all the way up to their freshman year in highschool.

The Hines sisters both play key roles in their final year.   

“My role on the team this year is just to play good defense. Playing good defense will keep the score closer,” said McKenzie Hines. 

Although the Hines do not just want to win, but instead wish to inspire others. 

“My role this year is to be a good leader for the younger girls and hopefully set an example on being a committed athlete,” said Rachel Hines.

Senior McKenzie Hines okays defense against a player from Fort Defiance

Once their basketball season is over the Hines sisters will both be attending a four year Division 1 college on a Lacrosse scholarship. Rachel Hines will be pursuing her lacrosse career at Liberty University. McKenzie Hines will be pursuing her lacrosse career at Radford University.