Wildcats look to the future

Above is the flier for the Trade & Career Fair

Ms. Robyn Sherman

Nic Vargas, Reporter

Rockbridge County High School has many opportunities for students to succeed in academics suited to their desired career path. This year the RCHS Trade & Career Fair was held in the RCHS Gymnasium on February 22, 2023. The Fair brought in a total of 46 businesses, workshops, trade schools and more from Roanoke, Staunton, Lynchburg and Rockbridge County. Juniors and seniors were invited down during 2nd and 3rd period to visit the fair. 

Each table had flyers, stickers, and other products showcasing each business as well as job applications for interested students.

This fair allowed students to get real time information with experienced individuals. 

One program that RCHS was eager to host was the Liberty School of Aviation. Other programs that came to the fair included the Rockbridge County Public Schools, MP2 Contractors LLC, Natural Bridge State Park, MoHawk Industry, Paul Mitchel The School Roanoke, Mountain Gateway Community College, Goad’s Body Shop, Southern Inn Restaurant, and The Lexington News Gazette. 

Ms. Robyn Sherman, Work-Based Learning Coordinator organized the job fair. She ran it through her work based learning program, “Cat Crew Works.”  Behind the scenes, she contacts the businesses and schools that attend the fair. Ms. Sherman hopes to provide students with opportunities after high school other than college. 

“I hope to provide students with options in case they choose not to go to college,” said Sherman. “The CatCrew Works Trade School/Career Fair was a dream come true for me that connected our community with our student body. It has always been one of my career goals to make real life connections for students especially when it comes to planning for their future and choosing the career path that is right for them.” 

Senior Emma Bates said “It gave me a chance to observe different options, so that I can have an idea of what I would like to do once I leave high school.” 

One opportunity that will be presented at the Trade & Career Fair is through Everbright in Buena Vista, VA. This opportunity is for students to become employees after they have gone back to school. This school is fully paid for by Everbright. 

As Ms. Sherman looks to next year she hopes to make changes to accommodate for the consistent expansion. Days after the event many businesses including Kendal, Heritage Hall, Mckee Food Production, Advanced Technology Institute and Priority Patient Transport contacted her with hope of being able to participate in the years to come. Sherman also hopes to expand the job fair to include mock interviews for students conducted by local businesses. 

All of these opportunities help individual students find a plan after high school,  giving them a future they can look forward to.