Maddie Dahl
Maddie Dahl
Editor-in-Chief

Senior Maddie Dahl is a second year member and Editor in Chief of the Prowler. Dahl represents RCHS on the volleyball court during the fall and the lacrosse field in the spring. Off the field and outside...

Exchange Students Come to RCHS

Lexi Walters
Various countries where exchange students are from. The countries are Uzbekistan, Italy, France, South Korea, Germany, and Kazakhstan.

Each year, local families host exchange students from around the world. This year, six exchange students are staying in the Rockbridge area. These students come from countries around the world and spend a school year at RCHS while living with a host family. They usually arrive in the United States in August and leave in May or June after each school year ends. Typically, these new students are encouraged to get involved in school activities, such as sports or clubs.

This year, junior Sybile Leygonie is an exchange student from Nantes, France. Leygonie is on the RCHS cheer team and said that being on the team has helped her make friends. 

She spoke about her experience in the United States and why she chose to come here.

“I went on vacation here and I liked it and wanted to come here so that I could learn English,” said Leygonie.

Cindy Miller is the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) exchange student coordinator for the exchange students at RCHS. She talks about how the exchange program works and other opportunities for students to study abroad.

“There is also the YES Program, the Youth Exchange and Study Program, which sends students to countries like Bosnia, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia, which is a scholarship program,” said Miller.

Some of the exchange students this year are here on scholarships. These students have extra duties to do, such as community service. All exchange students have extra things to do along with the services that RCHS students have to do.