Junior Noah Carroll is a first year reporter for the Prowler. As a first year student, he is ready to take on the challenges he faces. Carroll plays for the varsity boys soccer team and is also a part...

Henson and Sparks Join New Administration

Ms. Henson chats with a student. Photo taken by Nala Shearer.

Running a high school is no easy task, and RCHS is no exception to this. Within the past two years, RCHS has gone from having two assistant principals to having four assistant principals in order to assist with operations. 

The 2022-23 school year saw the retirement of Ms. Cynthia Littleton. The following 2023-24 school year marked the arrival of Ms. Amy Henson and Mr. Shaun Sparks. In an effort to get to know them better they answered these questions.

Q: What is your background in education prior to arriving at RCHS?

Henson: I was raised in Rockbridge County. I graduated from RCHS and then attended Mary Baldwin College. Following graduation, I taught at Central Elementary School for 23 years. I graduated with a master’s degree in administration and leadership from James Madison University in May, and spent some time at Jefferson Forest High School to get experience at the secondary level.

Sparks: I have a graduate certificate from James Madison University in Educational Leadership. I previously worked in the Staunton City Schools, in the Student Services Department. I also have experience as a teacher, counselor, and administrator.

Q: What makes RCHS special to you?

Henson: My roots run deep at RCHS. I graduated from RCHS and have had two children graduate, along with one currently attending. The staff is top notch and many of them have built relationships with my own children. RCHS is truly a special place.

Sparks: RCHS provides many outstanding opportunities for its students. The academics, extracurricular activities, and Work-Based Learning departments all stand out to me. I also appreciate the dedication of the staff.

Q: What is your favorite part of the job?

Henson: It has always been about the students for me. My favorite part has been seeing former students and how much they have grown. I have also gotten to meet new teachers. I have learned so much and will continue to learn from the students and staff. 

Sparks: RCHS is a great place to make a difference. I enjoy supporting my fellow educators and I appreciate the dedication of all the staff to make RCHS the best place possible.

If you ever need to speak with either Sparks and Henson, they are easy to find. They are often out and about within the building, or can be found in their offices in the T Hallway. They can also be reached through their Rockbridge County Schools email: Amy Henson ([email protected] ) and Shaun Sparks ([email protected] )

Mr. Sparks works in his office.

Photo taken by Addie Flint.