Breaking News
The student news site of Rockbridge County High School

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

Meet the Staff

Sophomore Jasmine Wilmore is a first-year reporter for the Prowler. Wilmore joined Journalism this year to expand her knowledge about writing and become more involved in the RCHS community. Wilmore participates...

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this article belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

Junior and Senior Classes Go On Field Trips

Seniors at the Smithsonian Institution Building in DC Photo taken by Greta Guse

On Oct. 13, both the junior and senior classes went on history field trips during the school day. The juniors went to Jamestown for their Virginia and US History class, while the seniors went to Washington, D.C. for their Virginia and US Government class. Both field trips left early in the morning and arrived back at the school later that night.

The seniors going to Washington, D.C. visited many historic sites and then had the chance to explore on their own. The students went to the Lincoln Memorial, the capitol building, the Washington Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, and the World War II Memorial. They then had time to visit museums such as the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum.

Senior Greta Guse spoke about her experience on the trip.

“First we went to the Lincoln Memorial and walked around there, and then we went to the Capitol building and got a tour. Then, they took us to a food court and then we had time to go anywhere we wanted on the lawn, and then we went to dinner,” said Guse.

The junior class field trip is an annual trip to Historic Jamestown and Yorktown, which is concurrent with the Virginia and US History curriculum. They visited historical sites and battlefields in both places. They stopped in Short Pump for dinner and shopping before heading back to Lexington.

Mrs. Valerie Clay, a history teacher at RCHS, talked about the Jamestown trip.

“They went to historical Jamestown, which was the original Jamestown settlement, and then they went to Yorktown to see the Yorktown Battlefield,” said Clay.

The trips were a way for students to connect their classes and the real world and provided unique learning opportunities for students.