Lexi Walters is a first-year sophomore reporter. She is taking journalism so that her dad will let her snoop on his W&L media and communications classes. Walters enjoys swimming, reading, and making...

RCHS Makes Changes To Evacuation Plans

Evacuation Plan Graphic by Lexi Walters

As a result of the bomb threat in Oct. 2023 at RCHS, some of the protocol for safety threats have changed. After the threat, law enforcement met with the RCHS administration to evaluate the current safety protocol.

Superintendent Dr. Phillip Thompson spoke about the topics discussed at this meeting.

“We recognized that while we absolutely need to have evacuation plans in place, we also recognized that one plan does not necessarily fit every emergency.  Different types of emergencies may require different responses,” said Thompson.

Thompson said that one of the topics discussed was the evacuation sites for students and staff during an emergency. The attendees of the meeting decided that several potential evacuation sites were needed, rather than just the one that had been implemented in the past.

“There may be certain types of emergencies when [the previous evacuation site] is the most appropriate place for an evacuation.  However, there may also be times when it is appropriate to evacuate the RCHS campus altogether,” said Thompson.

Several new evacuation sites have been decided on, and in the event of an emergency, law enforcement officers and RCHS administrators will decide which site would be the best fit for the situation.

The evacuation sites cannot be released to the public in order to keep students and staff safe in the event of an emergency.