Sean Martino
Sean Martino
Opinion Editor

Sean Martino is a senior editor in his second year of Journalism. Martino has been a Sports Editor in the past and is now an Opinion Editor. He is looking forward to working with the wonderful Prowler...

Softball Pitches a New Season

Lifetouch
RCHS Varsity softball team and coaches snap an official photo as a team, showing off their new and fresh uniforms.

New year, new players, and a new season for softball. Another year of softball has started up, will this year be one of the best? The coaches plan to help the softball team reach their goals this year, and mold them into a strong team and individual players. 

Coach Keston Pelter, head coach of the varsity softball team, explains her goals for the team this season and what she wants for the team as a coach. 

“I want to improve collectively as a team each day. To take one day at a time, whether it is practice or a game,” said Pelter. “Also, I want to make sure that the girls work on believing in themselves and believing in one another, having confidence in themselves that they can make the plays in the field, put the ball in play at the plate, and that their teammates have their backs no matter what.”

Pelter wants to build the team to be confident in one another, believe that they can accomplish what they set their minds to, and of course put in the work. Throughout this season, the Lady Cat’s will play hard games that they will have to work through as a team. Pelter talks about her plan for when they go up against these tough teams. 

“We are going to work on basic skills and concepts every day. Each day we do field work; working on taking infield/outfield, fielding the ball and making the plays. We also work on situations, so they can have knowledge of where runners are from the opposing team,” said Pelter. 

All of this hard work that Pelter has been putting the team through will benefit them in the games and give them a great lookout on what hard work can help you accomplish. She explains what kind of exercises they do to get their batting techniques and skills where they need to be. 

“We work on various hitting techniques. We will either have players hit live pitching, hit in the batting cages, tee work, and also each player works on the bunting game every day- getting their bunts down to advance runners or get on base with their speed, as well,” said Pelter.

Coach Jessica Walker, coach of the JV team, also expressed what her goals are for the JV team this year and what she wants for the team.

One of my goals for this season is making sure the players have a positive experience. I want them to enjoy softball and find a love for the game just like I did as a player. Another goal is to help them have a winning season,” said Walker.

As Walker said, she wants the team to learn how to love the game and the passion  of playing the sport. She thinks giving them a positive experience while playing softball is important. She also wants them to be able to experience a winning season and rewards that come out of their hard work.

Walker shares what she will be putting in to give the team the best possible experience playing softball.

“In order to achieve these goals, I plan to show up for my players each day with a positive attitude and ready to help them in any way I can. I want to give them the tools they need to be successful and motivate them to do their best. I plan to give them 100% of my time and effort and I ask that they give me the same,” said Walker.

Walker encourages a positive environment for everybody and wants the team to have a good bond with their teammates and coaches.

“It is not all about winning, but I want them to experience the rewards that come with working hard for something,” said Walker.

The coaches for both the varsity and JV softball teams want the players to be successful this season and want to be able to create a positive experience and environment for all of them. Hopefully they achieve the goal to have a winning season and an overall awesome experience while playing.