Administration implements new calendar

Ashlynne Mullis, Secondary Editor

Administration has implemented a new calendar for the 2016-17 school year. For the first time in many years, students will take their first-semester exams before Winter Break, which begins on Dec. 22. In addition, the school year will end in late May, as opposed to early June.

This new calendar contains several benefits, such as an earlier end to the school year and a full week off for spring break. However, the duration of this year’s winter break has caused some unrest. In comparison to previous years, winter break begins later in the month, creating issues for some.

“It’s been [our] tradition to go see our family before Christmas and then get back on Christmas Eve, but now I’m going to have to miss school and make up exams,” said senior Halle Kline.

Similar to Kline, other students are grumbling over the late start to this year’s winter break.

“It’s a bit of a sacrifice, but if we’re getting out earlier, I guess I’m willing to make it,” said sophomore Abby Hamilton.

According to Principal Haywood Hand, administering exams before break and ending the school year earlier has been a goal of the school’s for quite some time; however, the school does have to meet certain state requirements in order to do so.

“There are some conditions that have to be met, for instance, days out for inclement weather in the wintertime,” said Hand. “So, if you meet that criteria, then you can apply to start school early,” he said.

Hand and the administration are not the only ones who recognize the benefits of this new calendar; some teachers are also pleased with it.

“From a teacher’s perspective, I think that it’s easier to have the break to relax, since our grades will actually be due before we leave for winter break,” said English teacher Samantha Galanes.

There are also other benefits to ending the school year in late May. For example, seniors are scheduled to end the school year on May 12, creating more summer job possibilities for students who otherwise may not have been available to work.

“I know students sometimes have to conclude their jobs early in the summer because we come back to school. So, this does gives them a little more leverage to seek employment opportunities early in the summer,” said Hand.

Regardless of how one feels about the new school calendar, it is clear that the administration created it with the students and teachers in mind.