Jarrett Reaches Out To Yoga Enthusiasts

Amy Jarrett teaches a yoga class in the cafeteria. Photo by Kyle Hilss.

Kyle Hilss, Secondary Editor

The yoga club is just seven weeks old and already sparking a large amount of interest among students. The club, which had its first meeting on Monday September 26, was founded by Amy Jarrett and Gretchen Sukow and is instructed by Jarrett, who plans each class every week.

“I became certified to teach kids’ and teen yoga in October of 2015 in Charlotte, NC, through Grounded Kids Yoga.  Since then, I have taken advantage of every yoga-teaching opportunity I can, so I jumped at the chance to lead a yoga club at the high school,” Jarrett said.

Jarrett teaches part-time at Shenandoah Preschool, and teaches children’s yoga regularly at Shenandoah Preschool and Yellow Brick Road. In addition, she teaches teen yoga classes at Center of Gravity on Washington Street. These classes are Wednesday nights from 6:15 to 7:15, and cost seven dollars.

“I am thrilled to be able to provide a weekly yoga club to the RCHS students and teachers,” Jarrett said. “I chose yoga club instead of another type of club because I feel that everyone benefits from yoga, from gaining strength and flexibility, to learning strategies for coping with stress, to gaining self-acceptance and an appreciation for our differences,” she said.

The club meets after school on Mondays from 3:30 to 4:30 in the cafeteria.

Senior Emma Burleson, a devoted member of the club, joined yoga club as a way to get exercise.

“I wasn’t running cross country this year, so I figured yoga club would be a good way to get a moderate amount of exercise without as much commitment,” Burleson said. “I saw a sign for yoga club and decided ‘why not join?’ and that’s how I joined,” she said. “It’s a really interesting way to exercise.”

The club is small but growing, and welcoming to new students and teachers alike.

“I would love to see the club grow in number so that more people realize the benefits of yoga,” said Jarrett. “We are a small but mighty group at the moment, but, since we meet in the cafeteria, we have plenty of room for others!  Currently, no teachers have participated, but I would love to see teachers join as well,” she said.