Does RCHS have a coaching problem?

Musa Kamara, Head Online Editor

In a poll given around the school, asking whether or not Rockbridge has a problem retaining coaches, nearly 40 percent of students polled responded yes. Though many students believe that there is a problem, does the problem actually exist? Do our coaches actually not stick around for long? Is this trend restricted to this school, or does it occur everywhere? Has coaching just become too difficult?

Athletic Director Rick Lollis said, “Well some coaches they’ll start as a starting place and then they always seek to go to a larger school. Coaching supplements have a little bit to do with it as well. Plus, a coach is a teacher first, and if they don’t fulfill their teacher obligation, they can be released from their teaching position, and therefore, they won’t be around.

Lollis also noted the fact that the culture around high school coaching has changed significantly from when he was a coach.

“It’s gotten where I don’t know if I could coach nowadays; maybe I was too old school. I demand discipline and respect, and it’s become harder to do because some players are conditioned, in their mind, that it’s entitlement, and that’s not me. So many clubs we have going on creates a little bit of entitlement so it’s become harder a coach nowadays.”

Ultimately, Lollis believes that the state of high school coaching leaves much to be desired, especially in terms of longevity.

“Coaches’ longevity, it’s just not what it used to be, bottom line. It’s everywhere, it’s not just here. You have to have administrative support but you’ve also got to use good common sense to make good decisions in order to get that administrative support. Some coaches, young coaches they want more, and they haven’t earned it.”