RCHS Starts Offering Cyber Security Classes

Alexandra Mason, Assistant Business Manager

As of this year, RCHS is now offering cyber security courses for students to take as an elective. These classes are part of the Dabney S. Lancaster Community College dual enrollment program, which offers students a college credit for the class. The course focuses on cyber security and networking fundamentals.
Business and information technology teacher Mike LeNoir is in charge of teaching this course, working alongside Wilder, who started the classes in the school.
“The school administration decided to make cyber security a course offered at RCHS. Since I specialize in Information Technology courses, I was chosen as the instructor for this class,” said LeNoir.
“Cyber security is the most promising and financially rewarding career path available now. There’s an extreme demand for cyber security professionals, but extremely low labor supply. Our nation and our way of life are under attack by evil hackers, so it is very crucial to implement this course,” said Steven Wilder, former supervisor of career and technology classes.
The course introduces students to the career field and serves as a capstone course for the information technology program and a gateway for college degrees in cyber security.
“In addition to the regular online curriculum through Dabney, I am supplementing the course with activities in learning Linux and other programs through the Virginia Cyber Range,” said LeNoir. “The Virginia Cyber Range is a virtual online environment where students can access virtual computer environments and run the programs and simulations in a safe way.”
In the future with LeNoir said he hopes to get more students involved in the course and to make cyber security a bigger profession coming out of RCHS.
“We want students to understand the amazing opportunities available in cyber security. The goal is to start here at RCHS, get hooked, continue to college, and become a cyber professional,” said Wilder.