Be The Match Hosts Movie Night at Hull’s

Taina Covington, Reporter

Many organizations are using Hull’s Drive in Lexington as a location to raise funds. Over the years, many places, including our own school, have hosted a movie there. On Oct. 19, Be The Match, a division of the National Marrow Donor Program, will show It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and Ghostbusters at Hull’s

Be The Match is the biggest registry of cell source donors, such as marrow, peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC), and umbilical cord blood. 80 percent of their donations come from those blood cells. These can then be used to cure blood cancers. Be The Match (as of 2021) has nearly 225 clinical trials running and has facilitated 111,000  transplants since 1987. 

There will be other activities available as well. There will be two costume contests, one for children under 10 and another for everyone over 10. There will also be a carved pumpkin contest, raffles, and a trunk-or-treat. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown starts at 7:10 pm and Ghostbusters starts at 7:45 pm.

Summer Brandimarte is a student at Southern Virginia University. She is a volunteer for the Be The Match event and was inspired by her sister’s example of adding her cells to their registry.

My sister got matched to a 50 year old woman with leukemia in January from across the country. After a morning of donating stem cells, she gave the woman a chance to be cancer free and continue living. I was so inspired by the organization after that that I decided to run a marathon to raise money for Be the Match. On my long training runs I dreamed up this event and it’s so amazing how the community is coming together to do good,” said Brandimarte.

Brandimarte is overwhelmed by the support that the county is giving. 

“We are having businesses donate awesome raffle items, the radio and newspapers spreading awareness about the event and organization, college students volunteering their time by making our marketing materials, and friends offering to bring Halloween themed snacks for the bake sale. All proceeds go straight to Be The Match ” said Brandimarte.

Brandimarte said that Hull’s is an outstanding way to take care of our community, a fun event for everyone, and supports Be The Match in great style.