Rockbridge Residents Enjoy Hull’s Drive In

Hull advertises for the upcoming season. 
Photo taken by Sean Martino.

Hull advertises for the upcoming season. Photo taken by Sean Martino.

Sean Martino, Assistant Sports Editor

As springtime rolls around in Rockbridge County, that means one of Rockbridge’s most beloved features opens up for the season: Hull’s Drive In. It is one of 321 drive-in theaters left in the United States. It opened in 1950 and was built by W.C. Atkins. Located about two miles north of Lexington on Route 11, it provides a nostalgic, old-time feel for movie lovers. 

Hull’s operates on a weekly basis from March to October. They show two movies per night. These movies range from old classics to newer releases. There are also theme nights for different occasions. An all-night Halloween movie extravaganza is held every October. This is always a hit for horror fans. They also host other theme nights to support community organizations like Trivium Movie Night and 50 Ways of Rockbridge Movie Night. This supports the high school’s yearbook program and a local charitable organization.

Junior Keaton Owsley always enjoys his time at the drive in.

“Watching a movie at Hull’s is always a great way to spend an evening. It is super fun to go with your friends and enjoy the movie along with the very tasty concessions,” said Owsley. 

Hull’s is also very popular due to the rarity of drive-in theaters throughout the country. A common sentiment shared among Rockbridge residents is that Hull’s is so beloved because it is so unique to Rockbridge. When people think of Rockbridge, Hull’s is one of the first attractions that come to mind.

Hull’s also provides employment opportunities for many young people, namely RCHS students. Senior Andrew Brannon is an employee at Hull’s.

“Working at Hull’s is a really good time. The people make it a rewarding experience. Working at Hull’s surrounds you with good people who are trying to make sure that everyone has a great night out,” said Brannon.

Hull’s has provided local residents with countless memories on summer nights. Their season kicks off on March 18 with Trivium Movie Night. Check out their website or Facebook page for more information.