Spencer Pfaff is a junior at Rockbridge County High School. This is his first year writing for the Prowler. He is an accomplished swimmer, placing sixth and seventh at the Virginia Class 3 State Championship...

9/8 Football Game Cancellation

Photo courtesy of rockbridge athletic department’s Instagram
rockbridge athletics
courtesy of rockbridge athletic department’s Instagram account

On Friday Sept. 8, the Rockbridge County Wildcats played against the Allegheny Cougars at Veterans stadium.

Every football game there is always a surge of excitement and energy in the stands, and this week’s game was no exception. However, this game took a dangerous twist that hasn’t occurred in 2 years.  While a lighting storm was in the forecast, the likelihood of it happening was very low. However, just minutes before halftime, lightning was detected very close to Veteran Stadium. This soon led to the game being paused for 30 minutes and the stadium being evacuated.  

After the 30 minutes were over, spectators were allowed to re-enter the stadium, but there was a noticeable difference in the amount of people that had stayed to finish watching the game. 

In order to save time, the half-time show was postponed and was to be played at the end of the fourth quarter. Despite the game being resumed, there was still visible lighting in the distance. This eventually led to the game, and halftime show, being canceled right before the fourth quarter. The game ended with a score of 51-8. Be sure to show up for the next varsity football game on Friday, 9/18 against Blacksburg at Blacksburg High School.