Lexi Walters is a first-year sophomore reporter. She is taking journalism so that her dad will let her snoop on his W&L media and communications classes. Walters enjoys swimming, reading, and making...

Northern Fires Cancel Athletic Events

Due to fires in the Rockingham County area, many Rockbridge County sporting events were postponed at the end of last week. All events Friday, March 22 and Saturday, March 23 were postponed for the Wildcats. 

The track team was scheduled to travel to Harrisonburg High School. Boys and girls soccer as well as softball and baseball were all scheduled to play Staunton High School. 

Both home and away games were unable to be held due to the poor air quality in areas north of Rockbridge. The Wildcats were not permitted to travel to events in such areas due to the poor air quality, and Staunton High School athletes were not allowed to travel anywhere.

Many of the games were able to be rescheduled for a later date. The junior varsity and varsity soccer events were rescheduled for May 2, with the boys at home and the girls away at Staunton High School. The varsity baseball and softball games against Staunton were rescheduled for May 2 as well, and both will be held at home. The junior varsity softball game was rescheduled for May 25, and will be held at home. The postponed track meet at Harrisonburg High School and junior varsity baseball game at Staunton High School have not acquired make up dates at this time. 

After a rocky start, spring sports are hoping to have smoother seasons as they progress, and desire to avoid further cancellations due to natural and weather factors.