Samuel Ballstaedt is a Junior at Rockbridge County High School. This is his first year being a Reporter for The Prowler. He is a basketball player and plays on the varsity team at RCHS. In his free time...

Netflix Raises Their Prices

Gardner+Clemmet+opening+up+Netflix+
Mary Holton
Gardner Clemmet opening up Netflix

Netflix has ultimately become one of the most popular and goto platform for people to watch their favorite shows or movies. However, with the most recent increase in the subscription prices, it has sparked some controversy among users.  

In an effort to bring in even more revenue, Netflix also announced that they will be raising the price for their most expensive streaming service by $2 to $23 per month. The $15.50 per month price for Netflix’s most popular streaming option in the U.S. will remain unchanged, as will a $7 monthly plan that includes intermittent commercials.

On one hand, some may argue that it is justified that they have raised their prices because Netflix invests a significant amount of money in producing original and top-notch content. = By increasing, they can create better high quality shows and movies providing viewers with better content. 

On the other hand though, I am frustrated with the price spikes. I believe that online services should be affordable and keep the prices accessible to all ranges of audience. Some people may start to cancel their subscriptions and try to find alternative streaming services that offer cheaper subscriptions. 

Ultimately, the decision from Netflix raising their prices is a smart financial business move. It helps balance from gaining more income to produce better and more enjoyable content. 

It is unfortunate that the prices are increasing for the subscriptions though, and Netflix users are disappointed, but understanding that streaming services are evolving and these changes are necessary. 

At the end of the day, whether it’s worth purchasing a subscription or not is your choice. It depends on an individual’s preferences, wealth status, and how much one values their shows on a streaming service. It is always a good idea to weigh out the pros and cons before making a purchase.