Sophomore Carlos Reynolds, a first year reporter for The Prowler hopes to develop new skills through writing and video taping. He enrolled in the class after watching countless Wildcat Weekly, and reading...

Softball Falls to Spotswood

The Wildcats defense sets for a pitch. Photo courtesy of Rockbridge Athletics.

Softball hosted the Blazers of Spotswood April 9. They entered the game with a record of 2-3 and were coming off of defeating crosstown rival Parry McCluer. This was a key game for the Wildcats as it marked the opening of Valley District competition.

Sophomore pitcher Sadie Moore started the game off strong and pitched a scoreless first two innings. Spotswood opened up a four run lead following the fourth inning. They took advantage of timely hitting, aggressive baserunning, and errors by the Rockbridge defense.

The Wildcats continued to struggle at the plate as Spotswood’s pitching staff commanded the strike zone and limited walks. The last glimmer of hope for the Wildcats came in the sixth inning as Moore crushed a solo home run. The game concluded in the sixth inning with a score of 12-2.

Moore shared her thoughts on the performance.

“I think last night was a big learning experience for us. We really had to work hard as a team between my pitching and then the girls behind me fielding the ball. My hit really showed me that hard work pays off,” said Moore.

The Wildcats fell to 2-4. Their next game will be a district matchup at Turner Ashby April 12.