NHS is Not Dead

Byron Winchester, Business Manager

This year, many students have questioned the popularity of the National Honors Society as some events such as the NHS Halloween fair, have appeared to draw in less volunteers. The decrease in attendance of both students and Lextonians initiated mass hysteria across the student body causing as many students to wonder, “Is NHS dead?”

In response to this inquiry, the Prowler has discovered this looming question to be false. NHS remains as a staple in school clubs. Junior and NHS captain Hannah Mayr believes that NHS is doing fine.

“The NHS fair was a little slower than in past years, but we did really well, considering the weather,” said Mayr.

This year, NHS has continued to pursue partnerships with other clubs, including Interact and Students in Rockbridge Promoting Healthy Alternatives.

“We partnered with SiRPHA so [we offered] a project credit for their self-defense class,” said Mayr.

These partnerships may increase interest in joining NHS as students realize how intertwined NHS is with other school organizations. Junior and Vice president of Interact, Hunter Grist, believes that the partnership has allowed her to gain more project hours for NHS.

“I’m in Interact, so it’s easy for me to get even more hours than I’m required to get since NHS and Interact work with one another,” said Grist. “It’s also nice to not worry about having to sign up for every NHS event, because there are events going on almost every weekend.

While the club is large in numbers and activism, NHS is always looking to improve participation and encourage members to go above and beyond their project requirements.

“I think that NHS is not as strict as people think it is with how you get your hours. I can always find an opportunity to get a project credit or hours without being stressed,” said Grist.

Many students have joined NHS for different reasons, but plenty of those students thrive on having something to do and helping others.

“We’re going to do a competition based on how many hours the captains get from the members on their team,” said NHS captain McKenzie Perkins. “But we mostly just want people to sign up for events, because they actually like working with others in the community.”