Huger’s Farm for School Credit

McKenzie Alley, Reporter

At RCHS, Ms. Robyn Sherman runs an internship program that grants students high school credit while they explore careers for their life after graduation. Senior Isabelle Huger is participating in one of these internships. 

Huger’s family farm is a well established business in the Rockbridge area. They sell a plethora of dairy products that are all homemade. Huger helps on the farm by doing paperwork, taking care of the cows, and shadowing the visiting vet-tech. 

“I take care of cows, calves, that’s the biggest part. Their overall health, paperwork for cows like keeping track of their pregnancies and when they need to be taken out of the barn,” said Huger. 

She enjoys learning and helping the family’s cows. She hopes to one day study and become a vet tech. Huger plans to attend Pen Foster online and then work at Blue Ridge Animal Hospital as a vet tech. 

When approaching her senior year, Huger realized she was going to have to pass her job on to someone new. However, Huger was not ready to do that. She had so much interest in this field and wanted to continue pursuing it. Thankfully, she was able to join Sherman’s internship program at RCHS connected with her horticulture and vet tech class.

Sherman supports both paid and unpaid internships, while the marketing teacher, Mrs. Balkey, primarily focuses on paid internships and jobs. 280 hours of work is equivalent to one high school credit. A student can earn up to 560 hours or 2 school credits. Sherman said, “getting you experience so you can go, ‘yeah that’s what I wanna do,’ or, ‘I thought I wanted to do that but no thank you.’” 

Isabelle Huger has received lots of experience and affirmed her pursuits for future aspirations.