Breaking News

The views expressed in opinion articles belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

‘Quiet on Set’ Changes Perspectives

Amber Carter
Viral documentary ‘Quiet on set’ exposes the truth behind those Nickelodeon shows most of us all know and loved.

“Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV” has had a huge impact on social media, shocking the world, and not in a good way. The newly released Discovery Documentary series, airing on multiple streaming programs “Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids’ TV,” sheds light on the stories of former child actors and the large range of toxic dynamics and abuses that they experienced during the filming of some of the classic Nickelodeon children’s shows. 

It is common for young actors to be involved in one of the many child programs, like Disney and PBS, or in this case Nickelodeon. While certain compromises may be acceptable for the sake of creativity and amusement, protecting children’s happiness and health should always be a top priority.

The bombshell dropped by this documentary has completely shifted everyone’s perception of Nickelodeon and the shows produced during those years. It has been pretty eye-opening about what really happened behind the scenes. Furthermore, it is appalling that it all went on without anyone outside suspecting anything, a true web of manipulation was created to silence the actors.

I believe that the former actors who had courageously shared their stories deserve tremendous respect for their bravery. Not only for opening up about their experiences, but also by going into the gritty details and emotions of those harrowing moments. It was truly moving to see them show genuine honesty and vulnerability while illuminating the shadows of their past, something many of us don’t have the courage to do.The shows that were particularly tailored for children during the golden era for Nickelodeon;the 1990s and early 2000s, is what the documentary “Quiet on Set”  has been based upon due to the alleged abuse the child actors experienced behind scenes. Those shows include, “All that,” “The Amanda Show,” “Drake and Josh,” and “Victorious.” All produced by Dan Schneider, the alleged conductor of the abuse experienced by the child actors during those years.

Dan Schneider’s ousting from the network in 2018 amidst allegations of misconduct not only tainted his legacy but also casts a damning shadow over his entire career in children’s entertainment. It’s a stark reminder of the potential dangers lurking behind the scenes of beloved childhood shows, shaking the foundation of trust in the film industry.

Like I said before, former child actors; in such shows were given the opportunity to share their stories in this distressing case. Among those accusers were notable former child actors like Drake Bell, known for his roles on the “Drake and Josh” show. Additionally, two former female writers of “The Amanda Show” came forward, leveling allegations of sexism and sexual harassment against Schneider. Dan Schneider had made a notorious track record of subjecting numerous actors and staff members to various forms of abuse.

Even filmmakers have openly accused Schneider of shamelessly sexualizing children in several scenes. The thought of the discomfort the child actors must  have endured during those scenes is unimaginable. It’s sickening to know that Schneider was able to get away with the filming of such scenes.

I myself remember watching these shows as a kid vividly, and many people probably do as well, so it’s really daunting to know what those children were really going through away from the public eye. Furthermore, witnessing the impact of the abuse inflicted on the former child actors, puts into perspective how harrowing experiences can have such a great impact on Children. This documentary has definitely given people a different point of view, and emphasizes the need to protect children from this kind of exposure.