Kearney Makes a Racket

Nic Benke, Secondary Editor

Shane Kearney has fought for his honor in multiple tournaments during the previous summer vacation and faced extreme competition.

The most notable match of these tournaments was the Virginia Commonwealth Games. At this event, in the early summer, Kearney and his doubles partner from E.C. Glass lost in the final game of the doubles matches. Although he was not champion, Kearney said he still learned a lot about his game and built strong mental endurance, fueled by his happiness for playing tennis.

“I love the sport. I love playing it and I love watching it,” said Kearney.

Kearney is currently number one on the boys’ tennis team, but this has not always been the case. Kearney began his training at age eight and has since excelled at the sport. His freshman tennis season, Kearney started as the third player, but was able to advance within the team to second and participated in first team doubles with Ben Ritter. The pair later won doubles in the conference match, cementing a solid year for the ‘Cats.kearney

Kearney gets ready to return the ball at a home meet. Photo by Nic Benke

Shane contributes much of his recent success to training from Christopher Hu. Hu is currently a high school chemistry teacher and tennis coach.  Hu walked on to the elite Washington and Lee tennis team in his freshman year and advanced to position of the second singles player, by his senior year.

Kearney had a strong start to his off-season in the conference match, and was only beaten out by his long time tennis rival, Thomas Lane, in the championship match.

By spring, Kearney hopes to improve on the finer details of his game and be able to compete in states.

Kearney said, “I think that anyone who is interested in tennis should definitely pursue the sport. Anybody interested should come to try out for the high school team.”

Kearney has the passion and motivation for playing in college, and his teammates believe he can do it.

“I see a lot of drive and talent in Shane, and that combination could take him far,” said Shane’s 2016 VHSL doubles partner, junior Noah Gyscek.

Kearney will now carry his off-season experience with him for the rest of his tennis career, along with his many previous years of training.