Cathcart’s Drive Score’s Honors

Cathcarts Drive Scores Honors

Adam Webster, Reporter

Junior Trey Cathcart has had a spectacular golf season this year. After winning Conference 31 Player of the Year and placing sixth in the All-State Tournament, Cathcart spoke about his season highlights.

“Winning Player of the Year encouraged me that I could go far this year. It just helped me keep going for the rest of the season,” Cathcart said.

Cathcart and senior Ben Troise both performed well at states, placing among the top 20 players.

“It was amazing. The course was very difficult, and on the first day, the conditions were tough. I was surprised that I pulled out with the score that I did,” said Cathcart. “I had a steady second day that pulled me out with sixth place in All-State. That was incredible,  I never expected that.”

Cathcart’s success this season came as a contrast to last season.

“I struggled a bit last year. I was sick. Nothing really clicked. But then this year, I really went out on my own, put in work during the summer, and everything just fell into place,” he said.

Cathcart’s favorite moments this season were rooted in interactions between him and his teammates.

“Just watching Ben his senior year,  having him with me was just incredible, and he did so good. To go out on the note he did was just a great way to end the season,” Cathcart said. “I’m just so proud of my team, too. The connection we have together is phenomenal.”

Troise also enjoyed playing with Cathcart throughout his high school career.

“It was definitely a lot of fun to play with him,” he said. “Definitely at states, but also just the three years I’ve gotten to play with Trey, it was a joy. He’s a pretty awesome person and a phenomenal golfer.”

Troise doesn’t plan to pursue a collegiate golf career, but he hopes to play on a club team in the future.

Cathcart also gave advice to any aspiring golfers who hope to compete at a higher level.

“Just stick with it. It’s tough, but if you really stick with it, everything will just come together. It doesn’t come easy, but I knew that I could do it if I put my mind to it. That’s why I’m where I am today,” Cathcart said.