Holiday Movies to Put on Your Watchlist this Holiday Season

Pie chart results of favorite holiday movie voting

Eleanor Dare, Sports Editor

From a Christmas movie fanatic, I am here to tell you the best holiday movies that you need to watch this year, next year, and every year. I love to curl up on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa and enjoy a good movie. My favorite holiday movie would have to be How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Jim Carrey version. Nothing beats it. The end of the movie is so warm hearted and it is such a nice tale. I also enjoy movies like Christmas Vacation, Home Alone and The Santa Clause. 

After a survey was sent out to the student body asking, “What is the Best Holiday Movie?” there was a clear answer. The options were “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” “A Christmas Carol,” “Home Alone,” “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” “The Polar Express,” “The Santa Clause,” and “Elf.” The students spoke and the winner was “Home Alone” with 17 out of 60 votes.  

Other movies that were not on the list but members of the student body like include “Die Hard,” “A Christmas Story,” “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” “Rudolph and Frosty’s Christmas in July,” and “Love Actually.” 

Not all of these movies can be found on Netflix but since that is the most popular streaming service, I found a couple movies that I love during the holidays. 

The first movie is titled “The Christmas Chronicles.” This movie came out in 2018 and it has been a favorite of mine ever since. The movie takes place in the modern day 2019. Two siblings hatch a plan to capture Santa Clause on Christmas Eve. However, the plan does not work and the kids end up on a wild adventure with Santa and his elves the entire night. It is a super fun family movie and there is a sequel if you like the first!

Another favorite of mine is titled “The Knight Before Christmas.” In this movie, a knight is transported into the modern world and falls in love with a high school science teacher. He teaches her about how to cherish and love the holiday season and she teaches him how to be in the modern world. It is a really warm hearted movie and funny too. 

Those two movies and many others can be found on Netflix. I hope you enjoy them just as much as I do. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!