‘Cats March to a New Beat

Ejiuwa Abah, Reporter

The ‘Cats marching band has a new director, Jennifer Hess,  and a new drum major, senior Devin Kindle.

Kindle has been a part of the marching band since her freshman year and is enjoying her first year as drum major. A drum major  is the top student who leads the band with commands and keeps tempo by conducting during performances. Kindle’s job is to lead rehearsals and performances and follow the band director’s instructions for the band.

“I love being drum major because I get the opportunity to be a leader, but I do miss marching and playing,” said Kindle.

Kindle’s interest in band began  in sixth grade.

“I was accidentally signed up for band when I was in sixth grade.  I had Mr. Schucker and he made things really fun and I just liked band from that point on,” said Kindle.

Kindle’s decision to go out for marching band was inspired by previous drum majors she had watched in the past.

“I’ve really liked conducting since freshman year and I really looked up to drum majors like Charice Lee and Sara Jane McDonald, and I was, like,’ woah, I wanna do that’,” said Kindle.

This year, Kindle is taking on additional responsibilities that previous band majors did not have, such as to conduct the Star Spangled Banner and the Fight Song. This  task was the responsibility of the band director in past years.

Jacob Trout, another senior in the band chose not to be a drum major.

“I like to march, and drum majors don’t get to march, so I chose not to try out,” said Trout.

The band performs field shows during football games, participate in pep band, which performs in the stands during volleyball and basketball games. The band does not march during basketball or volleyball games.

In addition to a new drum major, the band also has a new teacher, Ms. Jennifer Hess.

Hess brings to RCHS four years of teaching marching and jazz bands at Harrisonburg High School, her alma mater.  She was also a drum major in her senior year in high school. Hess, an alumna of  James Madison University, spent three years as a member of the marching band in college.

Hess joined RCHS because of the variety of band classes available at the school and the diversity in Rockbridge.

“It’s not as big as other communities, but I have a variety of students that I teach everyday and I really enjoy that,” said Hess.

Students in band also participate in competitions. Last year, they went to three competitions including Blast in the Draft at Stuarts Draft and The Powhatan Classic.

“I don’t remember how we placed, but I know we did pretty well,” said Trout.

Band students hope to achieve different things from being a part of the band.

“I hope to make lifelong friends and win some trophies,” said Trout.

Kindle hopes to continue to do band related activities post high school graduation.

“Hopefully, I’ll be able to join a college marching band,” said Kindle.