Battle at the River

Cohen Paxton, Reporter

On Dec. 13 2022, the Lady Wildcats basketball team traveled to Buchanan to take on James River High School.  Coming off a loss to Northside in the Jayden Baker Classic, the team looked to turn the table and come out with a win. The game started off fast with the Cats getting a bucket on their first two positions. 

“Coming off a loss we wanted to set the tone and start that game off quickly to try to gain some momentum,” said Sophomore guard, Emma Clark. 

The momentum was great at the time, but short lived as James River took the lead and never looked back. For the remainder of the game, the Cats had to play from behind and scratch to keep the game close. 

“We never stopped fighting. We started to put up more points in the second half, but we were not able to come out on top,” said Senior guard, Rachel Hines. 

The game concluded with a 36-50 Rockbridge defeat. While the game may have been a loss, they did walk away having learned something new about the team. 

“We walked out of the game learning that our team was tough. Each and every player on the team pushed themself past their limits in order to keep us in the game,” said Hines.

The Cats fell to 1-3 on the season and will look to find their way back into the win column December 16 at Staunton High School.